Monday, June 8, 2009

ULGU

First in Central Asia!

"Our school is the first school in all Central Asia that has built a school toilet with a new technology; now it is even possible to go to toilet without going out, and we can wash our hands after using the toilet. It is great!

Before that both in dirt and in heat we had to go to toilet, in spring in dirt or in summer in dust, which was far from the school. It is a shame to admit, but we had to bring the dirt or dust from the toilet into the classroom. I do not remember that since my 1st grade I have washed my hands after using a toilet. It was impossible because in our school there were neither washing-stands nor water in general. In this situation there was no use to mention washing hands with soap.

And how about houses? To tell the truth, the majority of pupils, especially elementary school, have no habit to wash hands after a toilet. For some children, soap is available only in the morning and when taking a bath. It is time for us villagers to also get used to the culture of sanitary and hygiene. I think, our school toilet will teach rural children to follow the elementary rules of sanitary and hygiene. Therefore, I eagerly participate in each «ashar» or I gratuitously make my contribution to a construction of a school toilet, although I go to school in the other neighbourhood. If I have money or material means, I will surely contribute them. But it is a pity that I have not yet have them. As a member of the school health club, created on the basis of this school, I will actively promote this school toilet with 4 pupils of the neighbouring schools. I do not feel sorry at all that I will waste time for nothing, visiting the health club. My friends and I are proud that the first dry school toilet in Central Asia will appear exactly in our school", told Azis Kalmyrzaev, the president of health club "Dostuk", created at school named after Mashrapova in Osh oblast.

«And I want very much a dry toilet at our house. How many benefits are there from such a toilet? I liked very much the pleasant sanitary conditions of a toilet, without the unpleasant smell and flies. I was surprised very much, I haven’t seen yet such a toilet in villages, and wanted very much to know secrets of how to make such a toilet. Therefore, from the first days I attentively observed the construction, also participed in the trainings, attentively listened to the lectures about construction and usage of a dry toilet. Yes, it is turned out that our toilets pollute air and sewage, do huge harm to the environment and to human health. In the training I have learnt that the dry toilet could solve our pollution. As the urine does not get to the chamber, it separates and is collected in a special tankage. After processing, it is applied as a fertilizer in growing agriculture crops. Oh, how urine is rich in nutritition! Yes, not waiting for the toilet construction, I have been already collecting urine of my children, started an experiment of using urine as a fertilizer. I have been watering flowers. I am convinced that the toilet construction is not difficult, all necessary materials for construction are local, a design also is not too difficult, and the most important thing that project experts have promised to help, to set toilet sanitary arrangements. Now I am actively promoting a dry toilet at our house", told a young woman from Jetigen village of Aksy region in Jalalabat oblast.

“I am very glad that I have learned to prepare an organic fertilizer- compost from the organic waste for my garden. It´s turned out that we can prepare a valuable organic fertilizer from a household waste. I was spending lots of money on chemical fertilizers every year. The volume of application was increasing, but at the same time productivity was decreasing every year. Yes, I also agree, neither me nor my land got any benefit from application of chemicals, but it turned out that harm was done to the environment and my relatives’ health. It turned out that from my illiterate farming I brought the land to exhaustion at the result. Our poor mother earth! It turned out that on my folly it sufferred and moaned. As a prodigal son, I noticed nothing about sufferings of the mother earth; I did not show any care to it; without feeding her, I demanded as much as possible from it. Thanks to the consultants who have shown my problems directly. By participating, I have learnt the technology of composting, crop rotation, increase in fertility, usage of urine as fertilizers and many other things. I think, things are moving. We have created our biofarmers’ community. I am sure together we can solve our problems. We are proud, we are the first biofarmers of our area", told Abdullaev Alibaj from Markaz village of Batken oblast.

We are glad that our project “Development of Biofarmers’ Communities is a Basis of Poverty Reduction of Rural Population” has got support of wide mass of rural community. The project is supported by the regional state administrations, the administrations of rural districts, the regional organizations and the institutions. We manged to implement the project objectives set for 2008. 6 household dry toilets were constructed and are being used. 3 demonstration centers were created, where the trainings and demonstrations on biofarming methods, ecosanitation, water usage and energy were conducted. The three first biofarmers’ communities were created, members of which started appplying organic methods of farming into their farms and following rules of sanitation and hygiene. During the reporting year, the trainings and demonstrations were conducted with participation of more than 1432 adults and pupils. Among them, 52% participants noted that they had learned to use ecosan, 24 farmers could construct dry toilets, and four constructers were trained. In the target villages, 3 demonstration centers and 3 school health clubs were created, which would implement educational programs on biofarming, ecosanitation, water usage and energy.
The beginning is set! Now there is the task to develop the initiative started with success.

M. Dooranov, ULGU Director

1 comment:

Farida said...

Мырзабай ага саламатсызбы!
Проект болуп жатабы? Коллегалар журобу?
Мен эми орусча жазайын, башкалар да тушуно алсын.
Замечательная статья!
А школьный туалет уже эксплуатируется?
Фарида.